About the Quarry
The Swampscott Quarry has been in existence and in various states of operation for over
100 years. It is currently operated by Aggregate Industries. Despite its name, the quarry is located both in Swampscott and Salem, with activities taking place in each municipality. Activities in the quarry are regulated through various federal and state regulations; local regulation takes place through the Earth Removal permit issued by the Town of Swampscott. Earth Removal permits are reviewed by the Earth Removal Advisory Committee (ERAC) which provides recommendations to the Select Board, who issue the permit. The permit is reviewed on an annual basis.
- To view the existing Earth Removal Permit for Aggregate Industries: click here
- To view the recent presentation at the October 17th Select Board meeting: click here
- To view the Technical Review of Dust Sample Results: click here
What do I do if I have a complaint related to quarry activities, especially blasting?
- To submit a complaint or query to the Swampscott Fire Department: Please call (781) 595-4050. They will provide more information about filing the Blasting Regulatory Review Form.
- To submit a complaint or query to the Salem Fire Prevention: Please call (978) 745-7777.
Videos from past blasts: